Go Back   Loquax Forum > Loquax Community Forums > Competition Chat, Help, Questions & Answers

COMPETITIONS: New & Daily Comps Closing Soon Add Comps Find Prizes Comp Type Tracker

Reply Post New Thread

Old 10-04-04, 13:58
Administrator
jason's Prizes

Default [FAQ] Does Ticking The Box Affect My Chances?

Ticking the box (or optting out to not receive information from a website or it's partners) should not affect your chances when entering a competition or prize draw.

If you have any views on this please post below.
  The following 37 users say thanks to jason for this post:
Old 10-04-04, 14:50
Grand Duck

It should not affect your chances in a draw but I think it's very rude as a comper to NEVER tick the box because sites use comps as a way to reach new people. I only tick the box when it's a site based on a topic I'm interested in (comping, computer gaming and women's mags).

There are some sites that abuse the fact that you've ticked the box and harrass you. (Dennis Publishing anyone?) If sites want to contact you after the competition they should have the option to have mail, e-mail or telephone contact and give you an idea of how often to expect contact. Personally I never want to be phoned up but don't mind being e-mailed occassionally so if a site offers the chance to contact me by e-mail only then I'm much more likely to sign up.
Old 11-04-04, 12:19
Rubber Duck

I know this can happen.

I used to work for Norwich Union. When they ran a prize draw it was meant to be open to all but they got my team to pick an entry and then check to see if they had a Norwich Union policy and how up to date it was.

I thought this was a bit naughty but it proves it can go on.
  The following 28 users say thanks to miss claire for this post:
Old 11-04-04, 12:39

I have been wondering about this lately, I wasnt sure if you opted out of receiving information from a company would hinder your chances of winning the comp or not.

I usually choose to rceive the information thinking that I can always block them if they spam me.. :D
Old 17-04-04, 20:38
Lucky Duck

I always tick the box not to receive mailings or emails. I also write it on my postcard entries. Maybe that is why I haven't won anything yet!!! But then again, I've only been entering competitions seriously for about a month, so fingers crossed! I think that companies should respect your decision not to want your house/inbox clogged up with junk mail.
  The following 6 users say thanks to stonekins for this post:
Old 03-05-04, 13:22
Grand Duck

I used to tick boxes not to receive mail and never won anything. I don't tick now and have won lots of nice little prizes. I don't know if it's a co-incidence or not but I'm not taking any more chances. :)
Old 03-05-04, 21:13
Lucky Duck

But do you get loads of junk mail, fairy princess? I really don't want to have loads of brochures etc clogging up my house - its bad for the environment too!!

However, I am beginning to think that it's the reason I haven't won anything yet. :cry:
  The following 5 users say thanks to stonekins for this post:
Old 04-05-04, 10:12
Grand Duck

I don't get too much junk mail, or maybe I don't notice it as much anymore Yes, I do get brochures, car brochures are the worst culprits but sometimes, amongst those brochures there are more competitions, especially in the holiday brochures. At least if we do get junk mail, it is disappointing but we know that the post has been. If you get something which you know is junk mail, you could just put it back in the post to the sender. :D

I hope you do get some wins soon :D
Old 21-05-04, 12:16
Lucky Duck
sunflower13's Prizes

I always wonder that too. I do occasionally tick the box but only for information to be sent via e-mail as i do not want loads of unneccessary phone calls. I have also found there is no option sometimes but to tick the box as it won't let you enter unless all fields have been acknowledged. Hope this helps
  The following 7 users say thanks to sunflower13 for this post:
Old 16-06-04, 02:22

The good thing about the junk mail is. It is recyclable!
Old 16-06-04, 18:38
longtime comper
labazs's Prizes

:D one other thing before you dismiss junk mail and email, you often get to hear of more comps not available generally. i did a comp with a tea company and this month had a magazine which at first hand was going to chuck. on further investigation there was an exclusive comp!
Old 09-12-04, 01:59

Old thread but always interesting subject.
I am concerned about miss claire's post about companies breaking the code of conduct of data protection act hmm

I hardly ever allow for junk mail and when i do i make slight changes to my address details so that when i do recieve junk I know which company passed/sold my data to someone else.

Using multiple emails is good to to help manage it all and filter stuff out.

nice to see this site is still after my last visit 5 years ago.

Wtg Jason!
  The following 6 users say thanks to seanyuk for this post:
Old 17-01-05, 20:57

Default [FAQ] [b]PROBABLY[/b]

:-? Despite religiously avoiding ticking or unticking the boxes (watch out as they often word these little junk mail invitations differently to catch out the unwary, and you sometimes need a law degree!!), I do feel I am reducing my chances of winning.

First, and although I do not agree with the concept of it being rude not to allow them to use your details (if they offer you the choice then they should respsct your choice!!), most of these things are simply data mining exercises, so are simply designed to get more information on you.

Secondly I used to work at a radio station, and just about every prize draw was far from random, with winners being selected to help with publicity in a particular area, and to suit the brand profile of the prize in many cases.

Let's not be naive enough to think that ll these PR people are lovely honest people who desperately want an y old comper to win. Some may be, but by and large they are there to sell thir products and get fired if they fail. What would you do in their position?

So, if you can put up with loads of junk mail/email/texts do say yes as it is almsot certainly going to increase your odds. Meanwhile I am going to continue not to do so as I do not want to be bombared. My policy is enter lots quickly, without wasting too much time, and see what happens.

Best of luck to you all!!!

Tricky[/b]
  The following 26 users say thanks to tricky496 for this post:
Old 03-03-05, 22:06

I never tick those boxes, I don't want any **** in my mailbox or on my phone

I have enough double glazing salesmen phoning me as it is :D
Old 15-03-05, 06:31

I don't find it all that bad. I get around 30- 40 emails a day that take less than 2 minutes to sort through, then it just gets trashed.

The only possible problem is not being able to distinguish between spam and a virus email, but to date I have had no problems at all, (If you use Yahoo etc you'll generally receive virus emails with the following title: Re: [6], but they're easy to avoid).
Old 15-03-05, 08:25
Lucky Duck
Jeanieallergy's Prizes

I worry about all the spam email I get in case one of them is actually a competition win! I've never has a wem before so don't want to miss one when it does come. Takes ages to read through all the junk checking for the winning one though :(
Old 03-05-05, 14:02
Peking Duck
Hawkesey's Prizes

I've started to let them email me after reading this - I did wonder and thought I would take no chances! :D
  The following 5 users say thanks to Hawkesey for this post:
Old 27-05-05, 23:04
Grand Duck

I usually say yes to the company sending me info from themselves but no to them passing my details on to 3rd parties. I don't give my phone number if I don't have to as I'm fed up with people trying to sell me things that I don't want or need. If I find I'm getting loads of junk then I contact them after the competition has closed to ask them to remove my details or I unsubcribe from their newsletters, etc. :D
  The following 11 users say thanks to steelev for this post:
Old 25-06-05, 17:05

As i'm a born cynic, I always tick the box. I don't find this much of a prob junk mail wise as i use a seperate account for my comp related registrations. This way you won't lose your important or genuine email among all the garbage. And yes, among that garbage, you sometimes find the odd gem of a comp that you wouldn't find normally. :)
  The following 5 users say thanks to nemesis2476 for this post:
Old 26-08-05, 08:17
A luxury holiday please..

I tend to tick the box, but won't allow phone calls or letters. That doesn't stop junk coming through my mailbox though! Also, some comps require that you sign up for the newsletter so that you're in a monthly prize draw, though I've never won anything from being subscribed to a monthly draw. Has anyone else?

With regard to having to sift through junk emails to see if you've won a comp, it isn't necessary. In my experience comp wins come from a personal email address rather than the company junk email address, though I could be wrong. Also, the subject line usually mentions the comp you've entered, whereas the junk mail just has something like 'Handbag.com - Jennifer Aniston - Too thin for Brad?'
Old 26-08-05, 09:37
Lucky Duck
sugarthief's Prizes

Talking

hi!! I always tick the box to receive info etc, but always say no to third parties.. i have won quite a bit really so far.
I also think its a bit rude not to, especially as you are expecting/hoping to get something for nothing from the company! Its like people hope to win say a widescreen tv, but won't have the odd email or bit of post through the door in return! it doesn't cost anything to get an email or receive some mail, and like people have said.. post can be recycled and emails deleted at the click of a button.. wheres the harm?
I just think its a bit selfish really to want something off them, and say no to any small requests they have!
Old 22-11-05, 09:23
Hiding from work on here!
DCLane's Prizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedMoss
I never tick those boxes, I don't want any **** in my mailbox or on my phone

I have enough double glazing salesmen phoning me as it is :D

Add yourself to the Telephone Preference Service www.tpsonline.org.uk and they won't be allowed to call you.

David
  The following 15 users say thanks to DCLane for this post:
Old 27-01-06, 13:25
ITV winner
Emmaross's Prizes

Well I don't win v much at all, so from now on I am going to experiment with ticking the box - no 3rd parties for now though, one step at a time!

Quackers!
  The following 4 users say thanks to Emmaross for this post:
Old 03-02-06, 21:17
dreaming of Sverige
quincyg's Prizes

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudette
I worry about all the spam email I get in case one of them is actually a competition win! I've never has a wem before so don't want to miss one when it does come. Takes ages to read through all the junk checking for the winning one though :(
that's a point,thanks for that, I'd best check my spam box. i was getting over a thousand spam emails a week before I started this comping run anyway. i haven't done many in past 12 months either.

i mostly tick the boxes but not for snail mail, phone calls or SMS. some email newsletters are quite interesting.
Old 13-02-06, 10:59
Nautical...but Nice!
lighthousekeeper's Prizes

Talking

I've wondered about this ticking and unticking of boxes too, so I WILL experiment and hopefully let you know the outcome WHEN I win something big!

I agree with the other loquat who mentioned that you have to read the meaning of the agrement statement VERY carefully.

Does anyone know if you can register your mobile phone numbers with the tps so you don't receive unwanted voice calls and/or text messages? Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-08-06, 16:05
amazingly good at nothing
mariamt's Prizes

im registered with tps and still bombarded by the international mobile call centres, they are always number unknown so cant report them.

Its got to the point now where i avoid comps that ask details of my mobile usage etc, because i know that the next day il be getting those annoying phone calls.
Old 08-08-06, 16:38
Grand Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss claire
I know this can happen.

I used to work for Norwich Union. When they ran a prize draw it was meant to be open to all but they got my team to pick an entry and then check to see if they had a Norwich Union policy and how up to date it was.

I thought this was a bit naughty but it proves it can go on.
We're having problems with Norwich Union anyway. They send us a renewal, we phone up and they confirm the price, and then they deduct 4.00 more than agreed from our credit card.
Old 08-08-06, 16:40
Grand Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLane
Add yourself to the Telephone Preference Service www.tpsonline.org.uk and they won't be allowed to call you.

David
But are you sure they won't stop phone calls from organisations saying you've won something?
Old 08-08-06, 20:18
Lucky Duck
tracey2756's Prizes

I never tick the box

I have recently changed my comping email from wanadoo.co.uk to googlemail.com and have very few wins, I am wondering if my email address shows up as spam?
Old 21-09-06, 18:24
Nautical...but Nice!
lighthousekeeper's Prizes

I use googlemail for my comps also, so am not sure if they DO treat most comp entries as spam or think they are from outside UK, as it ends in .com.

I rarely get winning emails, but I HAVE won a few times with the googlemail email.

I wonder what other Loquats experiences are like, as I would have thought that comp organisers should accept all types of email, whether webmail or via isps, and not have a filter that filters out any entries that may seem like "spam addresses."

Tags - Links To Related Competitions/Posts
competition advice, newsletter comps, online competitions, question, ticking the box